Allthough my trip has been over for a month or so, I'm writing this final entry to make sure I have enough blogging to satisfy the length requirement. These are some of the random interesting things that I remember from Korea that I did not mention. The first in the bottless water coolers. Since I used to try and sell these, I automatically was amazed by the amount of these they have all over Seoul. In our apt there was one. In the hallways, they had them. They were used to fill water in restaurants. They just had them all over the place. I love these things. They filter and chill the water. Some of them also dispense boiling water. I wish they had them all over the U.S. Then people could fill up their water bottles instead of drinking a bottle, throwing it away, and buying a new one. In Korea, you can use the same bottle as long as you wish.
Next, one day, we were on an elevator and pressed the wrong floor. We pressed the button again, and the light went out. The elevator did not stop at the mistaken floor. Anyone who has been in an elevator when multiple buttons have been pressed by some punk and no one is getting off or on on that floor knows how frustrating this is. Not all the elevators in Seoul were like this, but I have never seen this back home. I don't know why all elevators can't be like that one. It was super cool.
Next, very small police presence. I guess this is because of Confucianism and the idea of doing what is best for the community. The result of this is little crime which eliminates the need for police. Its not that I dislike police all that much, they are just kind of annoying and don't lend to a easy atmosphere. It was nice be over there and not have a bunch of cops who think they are SWAT agents all over the place. I was terribly dissapointed to get back to the US and see all the police everywhere. It was nice to just be in a place where it was safe because everyone pretty much gets along and doesn't cause trouble.
Thats about it. I had an excellent time in Korea over the summer, but it is good to be home. Time to head back to Jackson.
Annyunghaseo.
Friday, August 6, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment